Personal Injury Attorney answers a viewers question, “I just got lawsuit papers served on me for causing a car accident just over 2 years ago. What am I supposed to do now?” The answer Joe is it depends. It depends on whether you had insurance on the day of the accident or no insurance on the day of the accident. If it is a Delaware accident, you are served with lawsuit papers in a Delaware Court and you are in New Castle County, Delaware, what you need to know is you have a very short time frame. You have a 20 day window after the date you were served with a lawsuit papers to notify the court that you are defending against the case. You have 20 days to file an answer to the complaint.